Soft, fluffy chickpeas, flavoured with aromatic coconut, spicy chilli, ginger, savoury curry leaves and asafoetida.
This simple, warm salad is super quick to make, delicious and packed full of flavour and protein. It's a very traditional South Indian recipe, often offered in temples and at religious and cultural festivals.
It makes a delicious side dish or a very filling snack that you can whip up in no time. We've used frozen, fresh grated coconut, which is readily available in Indian stores in the freezer section. It gives a lovely texture, taste, and freshness to the dish.
We're also excited to share that you can find a video for this recipe on our shiny, new YouTube channel!
Try it out and tell us what you think!
N & N
Time: ~15 mins
- 1 jar (540g) cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup frozen grated coconut
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 green chilli
- 4 curry leaves
- salt to taste
1. Finely chop the ginger and chilli
2. Heat the oil in a wok and add the mustard seeds
3. When they pop, add the curry leaves, ginger, chilli and stir fry for a few mins
4. Add the chickpeas and mix well
5. Add in the asafoetida and stir
6. Sprinkle over the frozen grated coconut and mix
7. Stir fry for 1 min and then turn off the heat