Crispy, spicy and oh so moreish. These oven-baked green banana chips are the perfect accompaniment to any South Indian meal, adding crunch and packing in bags of flavour.
Oven-baking creates a crispy, crunchy chip without all the oil typically used to fry them. It also makes the whole process much simpler.
We love to flavour our green banana chips using a mix of turmeric, chilli powder, asafoetida and salt. The turmeric gives a distinct yellow colour, the chilli gives heat and the asafoetida provides savouriness, creating a well-rounded flavour combination.
For maximum texture, nutritional value and minimum wastage, we use the bananas with their skins on. The skins crisp up beautifully in the oven and add an extra level of crunch!
Serve up as a side dish, snack or even a starter with some different chutneys for dipping.
Time: 45 mins
4 Green Bananas
2 ½ tsps Sesame Oil
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1/4 tsp Salt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (set it to fan oven, which will help dry out the banana slices and crisp them up even more)
- Slice off the top and tail of the green bananas. Then slice into very thin (~1-2mm) pieces
- In a small bowl mix together the spices
- Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper and spread 1/2 tsp sesame oil over it
- Arrange the green banana slices in a single layer and drizzle with 1 tsp sesame oil
- Sprinkle over the ½ of the spice mixture evenly and use your fingers to coat the slices
- Flip the pieces over and repeat
- Bake in the middle shelf of your oven for 15 mins and then flip the pieces over and bake for another 15 min. Keep checking to make sure they don’t burn
Serve hot or store in an airtight jar so they stay crispy.