In South India we love a good 'Cool drink.' Usually when we're out and about this would be a Limca, a Thums Up or Maaza. Very refreshing in the middle of a roasting shopping trip but oh so sugary! When we're at home, we love making this naturally sweetened lime, mint and ginger cooler to sip on those balmy summer evenings.
This refreshing drink has sweet notes from agave nectar, fiery heat from ginger and cooling freshness from lime and mint leaves.
Ginger's a super appetiser so this one's a perfect drink to serve up before a dinner party or a Sunday South Indian Lunch.
We like our flavours strong, so we leave the ginger and mint to soak in the water jug over night to really extract out the full flavour.
Best served chilled in glass jam jars with lots of fresh mint and coloured straws.
N & N
Time: 15 mins (+overnight if you want extra flavour!)
- 6 cups water
- 5 inch piece ginger grated
- 3 handfuls mint leaves (+extra for garnish)
- 2 limes
- 2 tbsps agave nectar/ maple syrup (+more to taste)
- Measure out the water into a jug
- Crush the mint leaves and add to the water
- Peel and grate in the ginger, making sure you really squeeze all the juice out. If you have a juicer obviously use it!
- Add in the juice of the limes and the agave nectar
- Stir well and add more sweetening if you feel like it!
- Pop in the fridge overnight to let the flavours marry and to chill it down.
- Before serving, pass through a strainer. Pour into cups and garnish with fresh mint leaves.