Hot, sweet, dessert drinks (known as payasams) are all the rage in South India. They're usually saved for special occasions, but our healthier, lighter and refined-sugar free version is perfect for any day.
This particular payasam is like a warming magic potion. It's simple, satisfying and you only need four ingredients: jackfruit, coconut milk, maple syrup and cardamom.
Jackfruit is an enormous spiky green monster of a fruit with super sweet, golden yellow insides. Trips to Tamil Nadu are never complete without sampling a bit of this beautiful fruit. Luckily, it's becoming increasing available here too- fresh is best, but the tinned stuff is so convenient for dishes like this.
We love sweet drinks, but too often they're sickeningly sugary and we can barely manage a few sips. That's why we're excited about using naturally sweet fruits (and veggies!) in our recipes. Jackfruit provides a natural, balanced source of sweetening in this recipe and we just added a splash of maple syrup for some depth and caramel tones.
This golden nectar has been a hit with our friends and we hope you love it too!
For an extra indulgence, add in some cashews and green raisins toasted in coconut oil. They provide texture, a bit of bite and the raisins soak up liquid, so they pop with flavour! Our version of liquid filled Agar balls?
N & N
For other dessert drink inspiration, try our Carrot, Cardamom Almond Milk Latte.
Time: 20 mins
- 3 cups low fat coconut milk (we like the Alpro soya kind)
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 225g jackfruit (we use tinned, and you can find it in Sri Lankan/ Indian grocery stores)
- 2 cardamoom pods
- 2 tbsps green raisins
- 2 tbsps broken cashews
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Drain the tinned jackfruit and rinse well (or if using fresh, no need to rinse). Puree in a blender with a few tbsps coconut milk or until it forms a smooth paste.
- Pour in a saucepan and add the rest of the coconut milk and maple syrup
- Heat gently, slowly bring to the boil and turn off
- Break open the cardamom pods and crush up the seeds using a stone/pestle and mortar, and stir into the mixture
- In a small pan, heat the coconut oil. Add in the green raisins and cashews, and toast until the raisins puff up and the cashews start to brown
- Pour into the coconut milk, jackfruit mixture and stir well
- To serve, ladle into mugs - make sure everyone get a good helping of the raisins and cashews, as they have a tendency to sink to the bottom.
Drink up and scoop up the raisins and cashews with a spoon!