South Indian menus are never complete without a flavourful and enticing mixed rice. And we love getting creative with the flavour combinations: think lime, turmeric and green chilli, roasted aubergine and coriander seeds, or our favourite: toasted coconut. Back when we were little, summer holiday picnics in India always featured vibrant, yellow, lemon and coconut rice in banana leaf cups!
For our modern healthy version, we've swapped white rice for brown basmati which also adds a chewy texture and nutty flavour. As well as crunchy toasted coconut, we’ve added toasted almonds, sweet dried cranberries and shredded steamed kale. Bright reds, vivid greens and flecks of toasted brown make this not only a feast of flavours and textures, but also a beautiful picturesque addition to your menu.
This recipe is easy to make in large batches, perfect for dinner parties or packed lunches to last you all week. We'll soon be releasing our recipe for Cooling Cucumber Yoghurt which complements this dish perfectly, so keep an eye out for it!
Here's to healthy, happy, hearty meals.
N & N
Time: 30 minutes
1 cup brown Basmati rice
3 tbsps dried cranberries
1/2 cup dessicated coconut flakes
1/2 a green chilli
1/4 inch piece fresh ginger
2 tsps sunflower oil
1/8 cup whole almonds
100g fresh kale
A pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
- Put the rice on to cook as per the instructions on the packet
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the asafoetida, ginger, chilli and coconut. Sautee until the coconut turns reddish brown.
- Toast the almonds. The easiest way is to spread them out on a plate and microwave for 1 minute. Then chop them into rough pieces and add to the spice and coconut mixture
- Then add the rice along with salt to taste.
- Cook the kale in a large pan of boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Drain off the water and finely chop the cooked kale. Add this over the top of the rice and mix it through.
Wasn't that easy?